Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Diversity Section Manager
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world‐class faculty in modern well‐equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross‐disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Gender Equality Division develops OIST policies on gender equality and diversity as well as strategies to implement them. It is our responsibility to ensure that OIST gender equality policies benefit current and future faculty, students and staff alike, and they are implemented uniformly throughout the entire OIST community. In addition, Gender Equality Division serves as the central information clearinghouse at OIST for those looking for policies, practices, programs, facilities and other resources that are relevant to OIST’s efforts to promote gender equality. We also represent OIST in interactions with other universities and organizations interested in promoting gender equality in the science locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. The Manager works closely with and reports to Vice President for Gender Equality and Human Resource Development.
Manager Diversity Section
Onna‐son, Okinawa, Japan
1. Assist Vice President for Gender Equality and Human Resource Development in developing and implementation of OIST gender equality programs.
2. Implement recommendations from OIST Gender Equality Task Force to improve gender equality at OIST, in coordination with the relevant sections/divisions.
3. Develop future business plan and manage section’s budget.
4. Supervise members of the section.
5. Develop network with the relevant local, regional, national and international institutions.
1. Knowledge of the status of women scientists and of the efforts to improve it in Japan and around the world
2. Experience with the development and implementation of gender equality policies and programs in an academic setting or a scientific organization
3. Experience in managing an office including supervising the staff
4. Excellent organizational skills
5. Excellent interpersonal skills
6. Excellent communication skills both in English and Japanese
7. A Master’s or Doctorate degree in a field of natural sciences or social sciences, highly desirable
Full‐time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations Annual salary: 7.2M yen‐11.3M yen (Job class: Manager, A5)
‐ Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
‐ Annual paid leave and summer holidays
‐ Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei‐nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha‐saigai‐hoshou‐hoken)
‐ Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
‐ Cover letter in both English and Japanese
‐ A list of references, one of which must be from the previous employer (We will ask your
permission before contacting a referee).
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
As early as possible
Application Due Date:
March 1, 2017. Selection process will begin as an application is received.
Please submit all required application materials by email to: recruiting#oist.jp
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University 1919‐1, Tancha, Onna‐son, Okinawa 904‐0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).